ADI OtoSense™ Smart Motor Sensor (SMS) devices require internet connectivity to send data to the cloud application.
To connect your ADI OtoSense SMS devices to the internet, you must use your local WiFi network. Your WiFi network must use:
- Dedicated 2.4GHz network
- Security: WEP, WPA, or WPA2
Certain network configurations are not supported:
- 5GHz WiFi networks
- Security: WPA3 or WPA/WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise
What to do if your network does not meet these requirements
If your network does not meet these network requirements, you can purchase a router to connect your ADI OtoSense SMS devices to the internet.
When purchasing a router, the following features are recommended:
- Pingreboot/Keepalive (highly recommended): when the router detects that it does not have Internet connection, it will automatically restart.
- Periodic Reboot: the router will periodically restart to maintain optimal performance.
- Remote Management: request router status or restart router remotely using API, text, or call.
Examples of routers with recommended features
- Teltonika RUT240 02U000 (North America)
- Teltonika RUT240 06E000 (Europe and UK)
SIM cards and data plans:
Each ADI OtoSense SMS consumes up to 500 MB of data per month under normal operating conditions. If purchasing a SIM card to use with your router, consider the following:
- A contract or bill pay SIM card is preferred, to avoid interruption to internet connectivity.
- If using a prepaid SIM card, you should apply sufficient credit to the SIM plan to cover the trial period (90 days).
If You Have a Corporate Firewall
You may need to configure your firewall ports to allow your ADI OtoSense SMS devices to connect to the cloud:
- Device communication uses MQTT over TLS/SSL, therefore port 8883 must be open
- HTTPS port (port 443) must be open
Note port 8883 will need to allow ingress traffic to support Over The Air (OTA) updates to the ADI OtoSense SMS.
You may also have to whitelist the following domains to ensure the device is able to connect to the cloud application:
Note: these domains can have several sub-levels like
If you have to whitelist the device MAC addresses on your network, the MAC addresses are available by request.
ADI OtoSense SMS does not currently support IP address whitelisting.
Useful corporate firewall configuration information
ADI OtoSense SMS leverages the AWS Cloud to provide scalable and reliable Internet-of-Things (IoT) connectivity. AWS publish the complete list of AWS IP Ranges used by their cloud services (https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json).
This list is dynamic and the IP addresses change periodically. Your Network Administrator can subscribe to notifications about changes and apply these to maintain your network firewall configuration. Access full details at https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/aws-ip-ranges.html
Firewall support for AWS IP ranges
Check Point Firewall
The Check Point firewall has a feature named Updatable Objects that supports the dynamic AWS IP Ranges list and automatically maintains your network firewall configuration whenever IP ranges change.
The subset of AWS IP ranges that are applicable to ADI OtoSense SMS comprise of the following:
- Amazon Services
- API Gateway Services
- CloudFront Services
- Rout53 Services
Create an Accept rule for traffic to these services on ports 8883 and 443 in the Updatable Objects console.
Palo Alto Firewall
The Palo Alto firewall has a similar feature to Check Point‘s Updatable Objects named External Dynamic Lists (EDL).
Reliable connectivity between your ADI OtoSense SMS devices and the cloud requires a signal strength greater than -60dB.
*Signal Strength indicator is only available in Android App
*All traffic on port 8883 should be allowed initially when using the Network Validator to test that the port is open
ADI OtoSense SMS App
Used to commission ADI OtoSense SMS devices. iOS and Android application available.